As vacation rentals become more popular in the United States, government agencies are getting more proactive about enforcing short-term rental tax codes. To help everyone make sure that they’re complying with their local tax codes, we asked our friends at MyLodgeTax to answer the top 5 questions vacation rental owners ask about sales and occupancy taxes:
- Do I really have to collect and pay sales and occupancy taxes?
- How do these taxes work and how do I comply?
- What happens if I don’t collect and pay these taxes?
- What charges and fees are taxable?
- Are there any deductions or exemptions for these taxes?